Albert William Thompson
M, #55337, b. 1896, d. 1976
|Birth*||1896||Albert William Thompson was born in 1896 at Glebe, New South Wales.1,2 |
|Residence*||1915||He lived in 1915 at Dubbo, New South Wales.3 |
|Military Service*||between 1915 and 1919||He - Military Service between 1915 and 1919; WW1 AIF.4,5 |
|Marriage*||1920||He married Elizabeth Jane Holman in 1920 at Inverell, New South Wales.6 |
|Employment*||between 1948 and 1950||Albert William Thompson was employed between 1948 and 1950 at Sydney, New South Wales.7 |
|Employment||between 1953 and 1962||He was employed between 1953 and 1962.8 |
|Death*||1976||He died in 1976 at New South Wales.9 |
- [S27] NSW Federation BDM (1889-1918), NSW Federation (1889-1918) CD ROM, Reg. No: 10368
Registered at Glebe, NSW
Father = Albert H
Mother = Maud M.
- [S40] NSW BDM - Online, online http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/, Father = Albert
Mother = Maud.
- [S206] Aust WW1 Embarkation Roll, online http://www.awm.gov.au/nominalrolls/ww1/embarkation/…, Residence = Dubbo, NSW.
- [S179] Aust WW1 Nominal Roll, online http://www.awm.gov.au/nominalrolls/ww1/index.asp, Nominal Roll
Service No: 3500
Given names Albert William
Regiment 56th Battalion
Status RTA (Returned to Australia)
- [S206] Aust WW1 Embarkation Roll, online http://www.awm.gov.au/nominalrolls/ww1/embarkation/…, First World War Embarkation Roll - Albert William Thompson
Service number: 3500
Roll title: 56 Infantry Battalion - 2 to 9 Reinforcements (April 1916 - January 1917)
Conflict: First World War, 1914-1918
Date of embarkation: 24 January 1917
Place of embarkation: Sydney
Ship embarked on: HMAT Anchises
Ship number: A68
Address Dubbo, NSW
Next of Kin Father, Albert Herbert Thompson, Dulcie Domen, Darling-street, Chatswood, NSW
Date of Joining 12/12/1915.
- [S32] NSW BW (1914-1945) BDM, NSW BW (1914-1945) CD-ROM, Reg. No: 19414
Registered at Inverell, NSW.
- [S234] Miscellaneous, online unknown url, Sydney Aldermen
From website = http://www.sydneyaldermen.com.au/alderman/albert-thompson/
Local Government service
Albert William Thompson was elected Alderman for Fitzroy Ward, 4 December 1948 to 1 December 1950 and for Macquarie Ward, 2 December 1950 to 4 December 1953. Thompson was a member of the City Planning and Improvements Committee, 1949-53, the Finance Committee, 1949-53, the Health and Recreations Committee, 1949-51 and the Works Committee in 1951. He was a member of the ALP.
Terms served on Council
City of Sydney
Albert William Thompson was born in 1896 at Glebe, Sydney, the son of Albert Herbert Thompson and his wife Maud M, nee Barrett. In 1920 at Inverell he married Elizabeth Jane Holman and had three sons and three daughters. He died on 9 September 1976, aged 80, survived by his wife Jane, and was buried at the Anglican Remembrance Lawn atRookwoodCemetery. His headstone carried the AIF symbol.
Occupation & interests
Albert William Thompson served in World War I, having enlisted in Dubbo, NSW. He was a member of the Milk and Ice Carters and Dairymen’s Employees' Union of NSW, becoming organiser and union secretary from 1926. From 1953 to 1962, he was General Secretary. He was an executive member of the Australian Labor Party from 1935 to 1959 and was a delegate to the Labor Council of New South Wales from 1945 to 1961.
Thompson was associated with the National Welfare Fund Association from 1952 to 1959, the Poliomyelitis and Physically Handicapped Society 1958-62, the Foundation for Research and Treatment of Alcoholism 1958-61, and the Manly District Hospital from 1958 to 1961.
- [S234] Miscellaneous, online unknown url, 1953-1962
General Secretary of the Milk and Ice Carters and Dairymen’s Employees' Union of NSW.
- [S40] NSW BDM - Online, online http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/, Reg. No: 23264/1976
Given names Albert William
District [not recorded].